6th RGS Doctoral Conference in Economics
Ruhr University of Bochum
Universitätsstraße 150, 44801 Bochum
February 26-28, 2013
Call for Papers:
Submission deadline is December 10, 2012.
Please, send the following documents in PDF format to :
- Full paper with JEL classification codes
- Electronic version of your CV including contact information
Decisions will be made by the scientific committee and notifications of acceptance will be announced after January 15, 2013.
There is no participation fee. Presenters have to cover their own travel and accomodation expenses.
Aim and Scope:
The aim of the Conference is to facilitate the exchange and discussion of research results on an international level by bringing together top PhD students and experienced researchers in a professional and social forum. The Conference serves to provide a stimulating environment in which doctoral students from a variety of top universities and research institutions can exchange ideas, establish informal networks and initiate future collaborative research.
Best Paper Award: The RGS Econ offers a prize of EUR 500 for the best paper to be submitted and presented at the Conference.
Topics of interest:
Both empirical and theoretical papers will be considered. The range of topics covers all research areas in Economics including
- Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics
- Financial Markets
- International Economics
- Public Economics
- Health Economics
- Labour and Demographic Economics
- Population Economics
- Industrial Organization
Below you find the program of the conference and the detailed overview of all the sessions.Conference Program (Long) (PDF)Conference Program (Short) (PDF)Session Overview (PDF)
The conference has a prestigious history in attracting keynote speakers; among them in particular Economic Advisors to the Chancellor of the Federal Republic; a history and tradition we are proud of.
Accordingly, we are proud to present this year Prof. Dr. Claudia M. Buch, member of the German Council of Economic Experts (Sachverständigenrat zur Begutachtung der gesamtwirtschaftlichen Entwicklung) who will lecture on the topic "Banking Union and Financial Stability in Europe".
- Prof. Dr. Erwin Amann (University of Duisburg-Essen)
- Prof. Dr. Thomas Bauer (Ruhr-University Bochum & RWI)
- Prof. Dr. Ansgar Belke (University of Duisburg-Essen)
- Prof. Dr. Matthias Busse (Ruhr-University Bochum)
- Prof. Dr. Volker Clausen (University of Duisburg-Essen)
- Prof. Dr. Manuel Frondel (Ruhr-University Bochum & RWI)
- Prof. Dr. Kornelius Kraft (TU Dortmund University)
- Prof. Dr. Walter Krämer (TU Dortmund University)
- Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Leininger (TU Dortmund University)
- Prof. Dr. Ludger Linnemann (TU Dortmund University)
- Prof. Dr. Wolfram Richter (TU Dortmund University)
- Prof. Dr. Julio R. Robledo (Ruhr-University Bochum)
- Prof. Dr. Michael Roos (Ruhr-University Bochum & RWI)
- Prof. Dr. Andreas Schabert (TU Dortmund University)
- Prof. Dr. Christoph M. Schmidt (Ruhr-University Bochum & RWI)
- Prof. Dr. Reinhold Schnabel (University of Duisburg-Essen)
- Prof. Dr. Jens Südekum (University of Duisburg-Essen)
- Prof. Dr. Thorsten Upmann (University of Duisburg-Essen)
Arriving by train:
From the main train station in Bochum (Bochum Hbf), you can take the tram U35 towards "Bochum Hustadt". You will need to leave the tram at the station "Ruhr Universität". From here it is a 10 minute walk to the conference location.
Arriving by car:
Leave the highway A43 or A44 at the exit "Bochum Querenburg", from here just follow the signs saying "Ruhr Universität".
Location on campus:
The conference will take place at the "Veranstaltungszentrum" of the Ruhr University Bochum. In order to get there you will have to go to the Mensa of the University and take the elevator to floor 04.
Guideline for Paper Presentation:
Please familiarise yourself with the presentation guidelines and adhere to the instructions during the conference.
Each room is equipped with a computer and beamer (projector). Please bring your presentation file on a USB memory stick. We strongly recommend choosing the PDF file format; otherwise it may not be possible for the software to display all fonts correctly.
Each Session lasts for 1 and a half hours for 3 presenters, i.e. 30 minutes for each paper. All presenters should arrive well in advance to ensure that no technical problems occur. Each presenter has 20 minutes for presentation, followed by a 5 minute presentation by the discussant and another 5 minutes for general discussion. Please respect the time limit both when presenting your paper and during the discussion. The chairs are advised to enforce the given time constraints.
A professor from the Ruhr Graduate School in Economics will chair the session. The chair welcomes and introduces the participants, moderates the open discussion and supervises that time constraints are met. If the session's chair is absent, the last presenter listed should take the role of the chair.
Every presenter is assigned to be the discussant of the previous paper in the same session. Accordingly, the second speaker is discussant of the first paper, the third speaker is discussant of the second paper and the first speaker is discussant of the last paper.
There are several possible accomodations in Bochum. Here are four recommendations:
- Ibis Hotel Bochum Zentrum:
- Hotel Oekey:
Auf dem Alten Kamp 10
- Haus Vocke:
Wiemelhauser Str. 214
Ruhr Graduate School in Economics
Dr. Michael Kind
Tel.: +49 (0)201 8149 512
Fax.: +49 (0)201 8149 200